9.24.2008

7.

Yesterday Bryan, Eric, Heather and I headed out to "Love is Love Farm" to help them out with their sweet potatoes and their lettuce. Judith and Joe are two awesome people who pretty much run the farm with the help of volunteers and a few full time workers. The farm is owned by a couple named Skip and Cookie but they basically leave most responsibility to Judith and Joe. They provide organic food to the Brickstore Pub and a few other places around Atlanta. We went out and harvested sweet potatoes. We learned about "owwie fingers' a lot. When you are digging sweet potatoes out of the ground you hit them with your fingernails and it can be pretty painful because sometimes it seperates the nail from the bed. OUCH! My fingers look pretty rough today.
For lunch we picked fresh arugula and fresh sun gold tomatoes and added in some chevre cheese and some dried beans. Mike from the Brickstore made some fresh sandwiches also. I had a sandwich with fresh squash, zucchini, pecan chevre and tomatoes. We had a round of beers and headed out to see if any hens were brooding. Bryan actually reached in a took a few eggs from the hens. He is brave because some of them were pretty pissed off and were trying to peck us. We took a tour around the farm and Joe told us about all the things he is currently growing. They have a parsimmon tree and we ate fresh parsimmons.....they taste like gooey orange starbursts!!! We also helped plant eleven different type of lettuce in the greenhouse. Hopefully we didn't ruin anything. After we finished working we sat around and had a few beers as the sun was getting low. It was such an awesome feeling to be able to sit down and enjoy good company with a cold beer after a long and hard yet rewarding day of work. This has been one of my favorite days so far this year and one of the best times Bryan and I have had together. The best part is that Joe and Judith sent us off with some parting gifts. We got to take home fresh eggplant, sugar snap peas, sungolds, arugula, watermelon, heirloom tomatoes and dried beans. I just ate a delicious and fresh lunch with Bryan!!!!!! What an awesome day...I hope to do it again soon.

Here are a few pictures from the farm
















1 comment:

San Smith said...

what an awesome day - I'm envious! It all sounds so fantastic (and delicious) and I love the photos.